Tumblr is a blogging and social media platform that allows users to post a “tumblelog”, short blog posts. The most significant difference with Tumblr is the free-form nature of the site and the option for users to customize their pages significantly. All other social media platforms have a standardized profile feature. That’s why Tumblr, your name is in a special place. After its foundation by David Karp in 2007, it has acquired many users and allows us to read so many contexts. It is easy to use, free and good at SEO management; that’s why it attracted all attention after its release. Like all popular websites, Tumblr has experienced many ownerships during its popularity. So, who owns Tumblr? Who wants to buy Tumblr? Here are the answers.
The Story of Tumblr
David Karp’s primary focus on Tumblr has always been creativity. He wanted users to be able to share cool stuff like articles, links, images, or videos without an external drive for rewards that other platforms encourage users. Karp wanted to keep Tumblr simple and create an environment where users could comfortably do what they wanted. Let’s take a look at the story of Tumblr.
- David Karp founded Tumblr in 2007 as a microblogging and social networking website. David Karp released it in February 2007, and after its release, Tumblr gained 75,000 users in just two weeks. It was a great success for a start-up.
- The first acquisition took place in 2013. Yahoo and Tumblr agreed on $1.1 billion in cash. Many Tumblr users didn’t want that change and started campaigns. David Karp continued his position as CEO on Tumblr.
- In 2016, Yahoo announced that Tumblr did not meet sales goals as estimated. Yahoo wrote down the value of Tumblr.
- In 2017, Yahoo was bought by Verizon Communications. After that, Verizon Communications placed Yahoo and Tumblr in its Oath subsidiary.
- In November 2017, David Karp, the founder of Tumblr, announced that he had left Tumblr.
- In 2019, Verizon Communications announced that they sold Tumblr to the Automattic operator of the blog service WordPress- with less than $3 million. Now Automattic owns Tumblr.
Why Did Tumblr Become So Popular?
Tumblr has its reasons to be popular. The formats and types of content created by Tumblr, the designs of the page where such content is posted, and the ruleless defy many platforms. Tumblr offers content ranging from text and .gif files to music and videos that appeal to specific fan groups, subcultures, businesses, social issues, and more. Tumblr is pretty easy to use but hard to explain.
Tumblr’s flexibility is an appealing feature for e-commerce store owners who want to create a specific look, focus on design details, or strongly emphasize their brand. Social media aspects of Tumblr mean the content is liked and shared, and relevant Tumblr users easily follow a business page. In addition, the anonymous use of Tumblr was one of the features that attracted a lot of users. People love to hang out comfortably on social media platforms without revealing their true identities.
No wonder it is a widely used platform considering these factors:
- Easy to use and free. You can easily have an account on Tumblr and start sharing your content with photo and video support.
- SEO management-SEO is the key to the content on the internet. Tumblr makes it easy with its SEO support and management.
- The Community-Tumblr community is not like other websites. Tumblr content is open to sharing easily due to the community of Tumblr.
- Mobile adaptability -Tumblr is a mobile-friendly website that allows users to experience Tumblr on smartphones without any interruption.
Who Is the Owner of Tumblr?
Tumblr is now a part of Automattic, which is the operator of the blog service for WordPress. Automattic signed a deal with Tumblr for less than $3 million in 2019 from Verizon Communications. Nowadays, blogging and microblogging have many competitors in the market, like Wix, Weebly, and Medium. That’s why it is tough to sustain its success in that environment. But the support of Automattic can change the value of Tumblr.
How to Download Your Tumblr Blog
Since Tumblr announced its new regulations regarding banning adult content from the platform, many Tumblr users were looking for ways to back up their...
After Elon Musk bought Twitter, some users tweeted, ‘ they are out of Twitter and going to use Tumblr.’ But old Tumblr enjoyers do not want the Twitter mindset on Tumblr. However, Tumblr gained some new users because of other social media platforms changing environment. And If you are also new to Tumblr and want to increase your engagement rate on Tumblr buy Tumblr followers to help you with that.
We have covered who owns Tumblr. It is one of the most popular microblogging websites all the time, and it continues its work with the brand Automattic. Automattic is the operator of the blog service for WordPress. The estimated value of Tumblr is around $3 million. Even if Tumblr doesn’t have the popularity of its early years, it will always have a special place for its veteran users.