Tumblr is a microblogging website that is recently getting hit. After foundation by David Karp in 2007, it has acquired many users and allows us to read so many contexts. It is easy to use, free and good at SEO management, that’s why it has attracted all attention after it released. Like all popular web sites, Tumblr experiences many ownerships during its popularity. So, who owns Tumblr? Who wants to buy Tumblr? Here are the answers.
The Story of Tumblr
Let’s take a look at the story of Tumblr.
- Tumblr is founded by David Karp in 2007 as a microblogging and social networking website. David Karp released it in February 2007, and after its release, Tumblr gained 75,000 users in just two weeks.
- The first acquisition took place in 2013. Yahoo and Tumblr agreed on $1.1 billion in cash. Many Tumblr users didn’t want that change and started campaigns. David Karp continued his position as CEO on Tumblr.
- In 2016, Yahoo announced that Tumblr did not meet sales goals as estimated. Yahoo wrote down the value of Tumblr.
- In 2017, Yahoo was bought by Verizon Communications. After that, Verizon Communications placed Yahoo and Tumblr in its Oath subsidiary.
- In November 2017, David Karp, the founder of Tumblr, announced that he left Tumblr.
- In 2019, Verizon Communications announced that he sold Tumblr to Automattic-operator of the blog service of WordPress- with less than $3 million.
Why Did Tumblr Become So Popular?
Tumblr has its reasons to be popular. No wonder it is a widely used platform considering these factors:
- Easy to use and free. You can have an account on Tumblr very easily and can start to share your content with photo and video support.
- SEO management-SEO is the key to the content on the internet. Tumblr makes it is easy with its SEO support and management.
- Community-Tumblr community is not like other websites. Tumblr content is open to sharing easily due to the community of Tumblr.
- Mobile adaptability -Tumblr is a mobile-friendly web site that allows users to experience Tumblr on smartphones without any interruption.
Who Is the Owner of Tumblr?
Tumblr is now a part of Automattic, which is the operator of the blog service for WordPress. Automattic signed a deal with Tumblr for less than $3 million in 2019 from Verizon Communications. Nowadays, blogging and microblogging have many competitors in the market like Wix, Weebly, and Medium. That’s why it is really hard to sustain its success in that environment. But the support of Automattic can change the value of Tumblr.
FAQ About Who Owns Tumblr
Automattic, the operator of the blog service for WordPress, is the owner of Tumblr.
After getting hit, it is obvious that Tumblr lost its popularity among popular blogging websites. In 2019, Automattic bought Tumblr in less than $3 million.
Verizon Communication took ownership of Tumblr between 2017 to 2019. Now, Automattic owns Tumblr.
Conclusion on Who Owns Tumblr
We have covered who owns Tumblr. It is one of the most popular microblogging web sites all the time, it continues its work with the brand of Automattic. Automattic is the operator of the blog service for WordPress. The estimated value of Tumblr is around $3 million.