It can be difficult when choosing the right video or picture format for your Instagram posts. Both photos and videos have certain limits you should abide by to maximize the overall look of your posts.
Well, you kind of have to. Otherwise, Instagram won’t let you upload the video or picture you want to use. So, today, let’s learn more about Instagram video formats, and which ones are ideal.
We’ll start with the videos and later have a look at the photos down below.
Instagram Video Optimization
Your goal when uploading videos should always be to get the most screen possible.
What you can see from successful Instagram video creators is that they use the 4:5 aspect ratio format because they are looking to get the most screen real estate possible. (Instagram Support)
- Format: MOV or MP4
- Frame rate: 23-60 FPS.
- Video codec: HEVC or H264, progressive scan, closed GOP, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.
- Audio codec: AAC, 48khz sample rate maximum, 1 or 2 channels (mono or stereo).
- Frame rate: 20-60 FPS.
- Picture size:
- Maximum columns (horizontal pixels): 1920
- Minimum aspect ratio [columns/ rows]: 4 / 5
- Maximum aspect ratio [columns / rows]: 16 / 9
- Bitrate: VBR, 5Mbps maximum
- Duration: 60 seconds maximum, 3 seconds minimum
- File size: 100MB maximum
Video Types That Get Attention
- Videos on Loop: You can Loop your videos through Instagram to make them similar to Vine.
- Stop Motion Videos: Animation that is captured one frame at a time, with physical objects that are moved between frames. When you playback the sequence of images rapidly, it creates the illusion of movement.
- Time Lapse Videos: Videos that are essentially speeded up and time appears to be moving faster.
- Tutorials: How to Videos are always going to be relevant and shouldn’t be disregarded.
- Product in Action: A video of your product being used to show how it works and how it’s useful.
- Behind the Scenes: Showing transparency like this can really create a trustworthy relationship with your audience.
Instagram Photo Optimization
In order to optimize how you get perceived on Instagram, you have to put quality photos for your followers. The retro days are long gone, and people don’t expect the count the pixels on your content anymore. Therefore, it’s important for you to use the highest resolution as possible.
- Formats: JPEG, PNG, BMP, and non-animated GIFs
- Up to 8 MB
- Square – 1:1 aspect ratio
- Landscape images – Max 1.91:1
- Portrait images – 4:5 aspect ratio
- Aspect ratio: Must be within a 4:5 to 1.91:1 range
- Minimum resolution: 150×150 (lower resolutions will be scaled up to the minimum)
- Maximum resolution: 1920×1080 (higher resolutions will be scaled down to the maximum)
Aspect Ratio Templates
- Square – 1:1 aspect ratio (for example 1080 x 1080)
- Portrait images – 4:5 aspect ratio (for example 1350px x 1080px)
- Landscape images – Max 1.91:1 (for example 1080px x 608px)
- Story images – 16:9 aspect ratio (for example 1080 x 1920)
Today, you learned about what makes a photo or video optimized and appears good on your followers’ feed. As you see, there are so many technical sides required to be handled other than the spirit and soul of the visual you’re creating. If you can’t manage to address these technicalities, your other efforts all be for vain.
Do you recall the first photo or video you uploaded on Instagram? We would like to know how was it, if you still have it you can share it with our visitors down below. We’re going to feature the most interesting ones in this article for promotional purposes.
Thank you for choosing InstaFollowers!
Pages that you may be interested in: https://www.instafollowers.co/blog/how-to-reactivate-instagram-account