DM, direct message, Instagram messages is one of the best features of Instagram as it lets you send photos, videos or texts to someone you choose privately.
It’s one of the main features needed in a social network, but you may find it hard to believe that back then you had no way to send messages on Instagram.
Back then when Instagram first launched in 2010, that wasn’t possible and you couldn’t send Instagram messages in any way until 2013. In 2013, Instagram messages have launched and the whole game changed. (Instagram Support)
What Can You Do With Instagram DM?
With Instagram DM, it’s possible to get in a conversation with anyone you follow and who follows you. If the target person doesn’t follow you, your message will land in their message requests. Nevertheless, you can get in touch with them at all times and you can do the following operations.
- Sending plain text messages
- Sending videos or images from your device.
- Forwarding disappearing images or videos you take through the Instagram app.
- Sending Instagram profiles.
- Sending the posts or videos on your feed.
- Forwarding hashtags and locations.
As you see, it’s possible to do everything with direct messages. Chances are you won’t need any other messaging app holding space on your mobile device. You can directly utilize Instagram for your social needs. That’s the main cause why the Messenger app lost a portion of its users this time around.
What Does DM Mean?
An IG DM can be sent to anyone you’re already following. You can also send them to users you’re not following, and that will show up as a message request in their inbox.
They can approve this request or they can ignore it completely. If you are approved, all your future messages will be sent to their inbox even if you’re not following them. In that case, we can say that the direct messaging feature is not something that is exclusive to mutual followers. Everyone can use it, and you can reach your idol, even if they are famous and they have a chance to reply to you if they want. Great, right?
How to Send a DM on Instagram?
Sending a DM on Instagram is not something that’ll drain your time and energy. It’s quite simple, to be honest. Either you have to follow the person you want to message, or you should know their username in order to find them. Here is how to send your first direct message with some simple steps.
- Open the Instagram app and enter your Feed.
- Tap paper airplane icon, it’s on the top right corner of the screen.
- You’ll encounter a page called ‘Direct.’
- Type the soon-to-be receiver’s username into the search field, you can also choose the person directly if they appear on your message box.
- When you find the account, tap on it.
- Write and send your direct message, as easy as that. The person will receive your message immediately if there are no problems related to Instagram.
As you have seen above, it’s possible to get in conversations with anyone on Instagram since 2013 when the Direct Messages feature was launched. You can send texts, photos, videos, sharing posts and profiles, and a lot more can be achieved with this simple feature.
So, when was the first time you used the direct message feature to message someone on Instagram, can you recall it? If you can, let us know right down in the comments section.
Thank you for choosing InstaFollowers!
Pages that you may be interested in: https://www.instafollowers.co/blog/how-to-delete-instagram-photos-and-post