Instagram is one of the most effective platforms that utilize hashtags and allows its users to embed them in their posts. You can use hashtags to promote your business, brand, or personal means. However, sometimes we see that Instagram hashtags are not working properly as it should, and it’s quite normal that users who try to establish a foundation on the platform get affected by it a lot.
A hashtag is among the most trendy symbols not only on Instagram but also on all social media networks. You can use hashtags on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, and even on some less-known platforms.
Especially with the increase in the use of hashtags in recent years, social media users had the opportunity to reach a wider and more relevant audience through niche-specific hashtags.
However, Instagram hashtags not working error is inherently hard to recognize; and, it’s not that easy to understand why the problem even occurred in the first place. This problem is typically caused by user-related mistakes. Especially, it may be due to improper or illegal hashtag use.
How to Use Hashtags on Instagram?
Hashtags are great for both your personal and brand accounts if you manage to utilize them smartly.
There are some guidelines on the internet; also, we also created a complete guide for the use of hashtags on Instagram.
If you are curious about the answer to how to use a hashtag on Instagram, you should pay attention to some of the following criteria.
- You should not use shadowbanned hashtags as they’ll cause a drop in your engagement, we listed those hashtags at the end of this article.
- You should not abuse the number of hashtags on your post, don’t overkill. According to the analysis of TrackMaven, the optimal number for hashtags seem to around 9 of them.
- Avoid spammy hashtags! If you use hashtags that are irrelevant to the content you post, you’ll be branded as spam and this will damage your account.
Pros of Instagram Hashtags
First of all, we should identify why people use hashtags in the first place. It’s almost like those old forums where you exchange ideas and arguments to benefit on both ends.
If someone searches for #foodpics, they’ll find what they are looking for. This is especially important if you also consider the fact that Instagram is not just a visual-hosting platform, but it’s also a search engine.
Also, when you post an image with the hashtag #foodpics, it’s guaranteed that it’ll benefit you if the content you posted is relevant; in that case a bowl of ramens.
Besides, you can even get featured on that particular hashtag and double your visibility in almost no time.
There are many pros of Instagram hashtags like this, but there are also some indirect factors.
- It allows the content you shared to reach thousands or millions of people at the same time.
- It increases the interaction on your content and allows more people to see it. So it gets more Instagram likes, comments, and such.
- When hashtags are used in the right place and time, it provides spectacular feedbacks and leads from an audience that is highly interested in the subject.
- Instagram hashtags are a tool that allows you to do free advertising while not appearing like you’re doing any promotion.
However, if use them incorrectly, this problem may have very dangerous consequences for your account.
Why My Instagram Hashtags Are Not Working?
If you see that Instagram hashtags not working, keep in mind that this problem is quite easy to solve as the solution depends entirely on your usage of the platform.
If you receive an error message or if you suspect that you’re a victim of hashtag problems, it may be caused by the following reasons:
- You have used a shadowbanned hashtag.
- You have exceeded the limit of hashtag usage.
- The content you posted and the hashtag you embedded are not relevant.
As you can see, all these reasons are caused by the user and Instagram’s policies or updates are not related to them in any possible way.
Please don’t waste your time trying to alter the app settings as there are no technical problems caused by the Instagram application that breaks the functionality of hashtags.
Solutions of Instagram Hashtags Problems
In fact, Instagram hashtags not working solution is pretty easy, and it won’t take much of your time.
If you have not made any user errors mentioned above, you have already fixed the problem automatically.
So you don’t even need to do anything extra for this. Only use the hashtags in accordance with the rules.
Thus, you will have no problem with the use of hashtags. The problems with using hashtags are definitely not related to the settings of the Instagram application.
Therefore, do not make changes in any of your settings.
- Another solution is that you don’t always use the same hashtags. Sometimes, Instagram may recognize it as spam and won’t allow you to use it anymore.
- If you’re having a hashtag problem on Instagram, you can try deleting the image or video you just added and try posting it again by trying different hashtags.
List of Banned Instagram Hashtags
We listed the prohibited hashtags on Instagram right below; so, you can avoid using them and experiment if that solves your hashtag problems.
Usually, using shadowbanned Instagram hashtags will result in drop in engagement on your post. Therefore, if you are not sure about what are you doing, it is best to sway to safer alternatives.
- #beautyblogger, but #beautybloggers works.
- #hardworkpaysoff, but #hardworkpaysoff💪 works.
- #kansas, but #kansascity works
- #snapchat, but #snapchat👻 works.
After our examination, we can easily say that hashtags problems are not caused by Instagram’s policy changes or technical updates.
If you want to avoid getting branded as spam or a manual penalty that’ll be given by Instagram, you should be careful to use relevant hashtags.
Also, it’s important to utilize your hashtags at the optimal scale; overdoing this won’t help you in any way, but it’s guaranteed to hurt your visibility if you go nuts with the hashtags.
Have a great day!