The black theme (dark mode) that YouTube first introduced for the Chrome browser is now available on iOS and Android operating systems. In this article, we will talk about how to use YouTube in dark mode, and the perks of this feature, whether it is Chrome or your mobile devices.
Well, make sure that you use Chrome version 57 or above by going to the Settings, and choosing the About section.
If you have a lesser version, you should update your browser before you proceed any further.
What Is Dark Mode?
Dark mode, one of the most important issues of our time, has become more widespread lately.
With the introduction of the system-based dark mode with the Android 10 operating system, most applications also started to have a dark mode feature within themselves.
First of all, it is useful to know that the dark mode does not exhaust the eyes, allows you to focus better and consumes less battery on mobile devices and laptops.
Is Dark More Any Good for My Eyes?
The dark mode is something that has become more and more popular in smartphones and computer software lately. And most users prefer it. This can be due to its cool appearance or its functionality.
However, the dark mode feature, which is considered by users to be very good in most aspects, may actually hurt you.
After this dark mode feature that Android 10 introduced, the developers tried to integrate dark mode features into their applications, and many application developers were stunned.
When looking at the dark mode feature in the applications, it can be noticed that the feature is not fully integrated. In addition, the dark mode can be damaging in some situations.
Pure Black or White Is No Good
If you go to an old website and the background of the site is black, you will probably realize how difficult it is to read the white text on it.
Reading pages with a pure black background and a white background will tire your eyes, and after a while, it will damage your eyes.
The dark mode is often used because it does not catch the eyes when used in low light conditions.
- In fact, this is a logical reason because late at night when your room’s lights are off, a white screen suddenly hits your face will create temporary blindness and dizziness.
- Even when using the dark mode, this sudden reaction in front of the eyes will still be very tiring, and long-term usage will begin to damage your eyes.
- It would be reasonable for developers and users to use a dark blue theme, such as old Twitter dark mode, instead of using a dark black background to cope with this issue.
Is Dark Mode Good for Battery-Saving?
Google, Android 10, and iOS 13 updates with dark theme support are ravaging the mobile device community.
The first results of tests have come for this mode, which is said to save the battery because the black color is not illuminated as much as a screen with a pure white background, especially in phones with an OLED panel.
You can find the mentioned comparison down below.
How does dark mode affect battery usage, though? A YouTuber named PhoneBuff uses the iPhone XS model with iOS 13 and dark mode.
How Much Do YouTubers Make?
Social media, developing day by day, brings up new job opportunities. Of course, new job opportunities created by increasing needs can be welcomed nor...
In light mode test, it turned out that the model with a dark theme lasts 30 percent longer compared to its peers with a regular theme.
PhoneBuff recommends that users who want to save battery use the dark mode, indicating that there will be a difference on all OLED phones.
How to Activate YouTube Dark Theme on Google Chrome?
In order to activate the dark mode on YouTube, follow the steps below. We don’t have much work to do.
- Open Google Chrome and go to YouTube to start the process. You can sign in to your account if you have one.
- At the top-right corner, you should see your profile picture if you have one. To proceed, you should click your icon to open the Settings menu.
- In the window that opens, scroll down for a bit until you see the section labeled as “Dark Mode: Off.”
- When you see the section we mentioned, simply click it to go to the next step. After that, you will encounter a notice that follows as “Dark theme turns the light surfaces of the page dark, creating an experience ideal for night. Try it out! Your Dark theme setting will apply to this browser only.”
- When you’re ready, you can easily click on the switch down below to start using YouTube in the dark mode.
How to Activate YouTube Dark Theme on Android and iOS?
Activating the dark mode on the mobile is very simple. Well, actually, you have to follow the steps we listed above as the procedures are the same for mobile devices too. However, in order to prevent confusion, let’s go over this quickly.
- We tap our profile picture at the top right of the YouTube application to proceed.
- In the Account window that opens, scroll down and tap on Settings.
- In the following window, you’ll see a switch labeling what you are looking for. We activate the Dark Theme function simply by hitting the switch.
Read also: How to Turn on Dark Mode on Instagram
Conclusion on How to Use YouTube in Dark Mode
In conclusion, using YouTube in dark mode is good for your battery; however, it can still hurt your eyes. In this article, we explained how to use YouTube in dark mode with its advantages and disadvantages.