Like many features, it is a little bit different to take a screenshot on Mac. You can take three kinds of screenshots on Mac, and there is one extra way to take a screenshot for MacBook models with a Touch Bar, all of them are very useful for further use if your work requires sharing what’s on your screen. This article will tell you how to use all of these shortcuts.
How to Take Screenshot on Mac Computer?
This shortcut is to take the screenshot of your entire current screen. Press the Shift, Command, and 3 keys altogether at the same time. (Shift+Command+3)
How to Take a Screenshot of a Part of Your Screen?
This is the way when you want to capture the screenshot of only a portion, not your full screen. It comes in handy when you need to share something that stands on the screen, but you also have a page open with private information at the side that you would not like for it to be seen. Or maybe you would just like to capture the main information on your screen and not the other open tabs down below:
- Hold down the keys, Shift, Command, and 4 together. (Shift + Command + 4)
- You will see a “” sign.
- Drag your cursor while clicking on your mouse to specify the part of the screen you want to take a screenshot of in a rectangle.
- Select the part you like.
- Release your mouse or trackpad.
Note: You can cancel the action before you take the screenshot, pressing the Escape button.
How to Take Screenshot of a Certain Window or Menu Screen?
This really easy shortcut allows you to take a picture of a certain rectangle window on your screen.
- Open the menu or the page window you want to take a screenshot of.
- Press Shift, Command, 4, and then hold down your Space Bar at the same time. (Shift + Command + 4 + Space Bar)
- Your cursor will turn into a small Camera icon.
- There will be a blue shadow on the window or menu that will be captured if you click on it.
- Click on the window you like.
- Release the mouse or trackpad to take the screenshot.
How to Take a Screenshot of the Touch Bar?
This feature is for MacBook Pro and other models that include a Touch Bar. This is to capture the screenshot of what’s showing on your Touch Bar.
Hold down the keys Shift, Command, 6 together to take the screenshot of your entire Touch Bar. (Shift + Command + 6)
BONUS: Taking a Screenshot via Preview
If you don’t want keyboard shortcuts or feel like too much work to remember all of them, you can also take a screenshot on your Mac using Preview.
- Open the Preview app.
- Click on the “File” menu and select “Take a Screenshot.”
- You will see all three options of different kinds of screenshots that are mentioned above.
- Select the screenshot option you would like to take.
When you take a screenshot on Mac, the files do not open automatically. If you haven’t changed the default settings of this, the screenshots are saved to your desktop with the name; Screenshot[date]at[time].png
You can edit screenshots in two different ways. You can either do it right after taking the screenshot by clicking on the thumbnail that appears. Or you can edit after taking the screenshot by Keynote from the applications.
By default settings, the screenshots are automatically saved to your desktop. When you want to save your screenshot in a specific file, you can adjust this. But keep in mind that this action requires macOS Mojave or later.
We have covered how to take a screenshot on your Mac computer. In conclusion, it is safe to say that taking a screenshot on Mac has many ways, and it’s simple to implement all of them. Once again Apple offers us a few more detailed options to use this feature as we mentioned above.
If you want to learn more, check our latest articles.