Instagram is a social photo and video sharing platform. A lot of people are using it for different purposes. From stories to IGTV, there is too much going on on Instagram. It is such a platform to find any kind of account to follow according to your interests. It is not only that; there is contact on Instagram as well. You can send messages to people by replying to their stories or just writing them directly. But what if your messages are deleted. In this article, we are going to explain how to recover deleted Instagram messages.
Instagram is not a chatting platform, but sometimes we can find a topic to write a lot about. Usually, this comes out when you are replying to someone’s story. You might delete messages by mistake or for other reasons, but when you want to recover deleted Instagram messages, it is possible, and there are three ways to do it.
Recovering Messages From the Other Side
When you delete messages on Instagram, you only delete them from your account. So your messages are still in the Direct Messages of the other person if he or she did not delete them as well.
One of the easiest ways to recover your messages is to ask the recipient to hand them over to you. It is one of the fastest ways for Instagram message recovery. However, if you do not follow each other anymore, you might want to try the other ways to get your messages again.
Recovering From Facebook Account
In 2012, Facebook bought Instagram, and since then, it is possible to connect your Instagram account to Facebook. For those who connected their accounts, there is good news. If you have connected your Instagram account to the Facebook account, it is much easier to recover deleted Instagram messages.
Your messages are collected on Facebook, as well. So you can find your Instagram direct messages in Facebook Inbox. Just follow these simple steps to see your deleted messages on Instagram:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on the ‘Messages’ button on the upper right side of the page.
- Now you have reached your inbox.
- There will be a menu on the left side, click on the ‘Instagram Direct’ icon, and you will find your DM messages here.
Recovering Messages Manually
If you have not connected your account to Facebook, don’t worry. Recovering from Facebook is easy, but not everyone connects their account, and it is still possible to recover deleted Instagram messages without a Facebook account.
Instagram started a function that allows you to download any kind of data from its website page. You can download direct messages, photos, videos, comments, and such. Now let’s take a look at how you can download your messages:
- Open the Instagram website page on a PC and log in to your account by entering your username and password.
- Go to your profile; there is a profile icon on the upper right corner of the page.
- Click on ‘Settings’ and select ‘Privacy and Security’ from the pop-up menu.
- Scroll down the page and click on the ‘Data Download’ button. Instagram will ask you to verify yourself, log in to your account again.
- Then enter your e-mail address to get a link from Instagram to download your messages, photos, videos, and profile information.
- Click on ‘Next’ and enter your Instagram password and click on ‘Request Download.’
- After you have done that, you will get an e-mail from Instagram with the subject of ‘Your Instagram Data’ in 48 hours.
- Open the e-mail and click on ‘Download Data,’ then all the data you have shared on Instagram will be downloaded in a ZIP file.
- Extract the files from the ZIP file and look for the messages file. Once you open it, you can see the deleted Instagram messages of yours.
Conclusion on Instagram Messages
As you can see, it is possible to recover deleted Instagram messages one way or another. Your messages are not deleted from the recipient so one of the easiest ways to recover them is just asking the recipients for the messages.
If you cannot do that, you can recover them from your Facebook account, if you have connected your accounts of course. The third way might be the hardest but the most difficult thing about it is just waiting.
If you want to learn more about Instagram, read our latest articles about it and use Instagram effectively.