Facebook is a great tool for keeping in touch with your friends and family members. However, like other social media platforms, Facebook may restrict your privacy. Luckily, the platform offers two different options for its users; public and private accounts. If you want to make Facebook private, you’ve come to the right place!
How To Make a Facebook Page Private?
Here are steps to make your Facebook account private;
- Log in to your Facebook account on your phone or desktop.
- Find the “Settings and Privacy” section, and then you will see “Privacy Shortcuts”; click the option to customize your privacy options.
- You will see a list of options and click “See more privacy settings.”
- There will be several options you can prefer; ‘Public,’ ‘Friends,’ ‘Friends Except’ (for one or more than one person), or ‘Only Me.’ You can change who will be able to see your activities, including past and future posts.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Private Facebook Page
When you decide to make Facebook private, you will encounter some advantages and disadvantages.
- Like everyone, you have a private life. When you make your Facebook private, you will be able to choose your followers and friends one by one, and you can create a social life privately on the platform. Suppose you are looking for a job and have made a job application, your potential boss will most probably look at your social media accounts to get information about you. Your political views, religious opinion, or comments you have already left may affect your hiring process.
- If people want to stalk or hurt you, you have already given them all they want, including your phone numbers, place of work, or even your family members’ names and home address. Because of this, you will be able to protect yourself against bad people when you have a private account.
- You will also protect yourself against identity thieves on social media. They can easily reach your private information, such as your mother’s maiden name and your birth date. Besides, they can use this information to take a loan out without your permission.
- If your private account is a Business page, the growth of your page reduces significantly. Fewer people will want to follow you. Many people look at a page; if the page can be viewed, they check the account and then decide whether to follow. When you make Facebook private, potential followers may give up following you within seconds. Therefore, smaller communities will become unavoidable for your brand.
FAQs About Making Facebook Private
If you select ‘Friends, ‘ anyone on your Friend list on the platform can view your posts. On the other hand, if you choose the ‘Only Me’ option, someone other than you can not see your content. Besides, when you choose ‘Friends Except,’ anyone on your Friends list on the platform, except some people you’ve chosen, can view your posts.
Yes, go to your profile page and then click on the three dots in the bottom-right corner of your profile photo. You will see ‘View as.’ It offers a version of your Facebook account that is viewed by your friends.
Unfortunately, no. There is not any way to know who stalks your Facebook account. There are several applications and websites that claim to offer this service, but Facebook has confirmed these services are not safe and true.
It is so simple; find the old post you would like to edit, and then click the audience selector next to the date. Choose who can see the content; Public, Friends, Friends Except, or Only Me.
Yes, go to your Facebook profile; tap the ‘See your profile’ section, select ‘About,’ and tap ‘Contact and Basic Info’ on the menu.
Making Facebook Private In Short
Facebook provides perfect opportunities to share our photos and videos and keep in touch with our friends and family. Many accounts, such as businesses, companies, and brands, prefer public accounts. On the other side, some users may want to make Facebook private to protect their private life.