Almost everyone experiences hiccups. Even they disappear on their own; sometimes it can be really annoying. That’s why here are some ways on how to get rid of hiccups and the reasons for it.
What Causes Hiccups?
Hiccups happen in your diaphragm. The diaphragm is a big muscle that helps you to breathe. Sometimes, it can spam, and you start to inhale suddenly. That creates an unwanted sound in vocal cords. Even though there is not a clear reason for it, there are many reasons to create hiccups and that sound:
- Eating too much or eating too quickly.
- Special foods like spicy ones.
- Some drinks like coke.
- Being stressed, emotional changes, and fears.
- Drinking too much alcohol.
- Temperature changes.
- Pressure changes like in airplanes.
How to Stop Hiccups?
When hiccups start it is annoying, you can get help from these tips to stop hiccups:
- Hold your breath for 20 seconds. It will cut your hiccups.
- Breathe into a paper bag. Interestingly, it is really helpful to get rid of hiccups.
- Work on your breathing and try to breathe slowly. When you start to manage your breathing, hiccups will disappear.
- Apply pressure on your chest softly. Pay attention not to apply high pressure.
- Apply press-on your tongue. You need to apply press in the middle of your tongue.
- Try to drink ice water or any other drinks.
- Suck on an ice cube.
- Suck a lemon.
- Press on your diaphragm. Try not to use so much pressure on your body.
In the case your hiccups still continue, go to a doctor. Hiccups that last more than 48 hours long thought as dangerous. If you experience a situation in that duration, you need to consult a doctor or call an ambulance.
Generally, they aren’t. Most of the time, they disappear easily and you don’t need to do anything.
Hiccups are generally disappearing easily and not dangerous. But if it continues a too long time, then you should call a doctor to consult.
Even there is no exact reason for hiccups, it is known that it is about lifestyle. Check your lifestyle and try to find causing the effect of hiccups.
We have covered how to get rid of hiccups. We also included ways to stop hiccups. Most of the time, hiccups disappear on their own. But if it continues, you can try the tips that are listed above.