Twitch is one of the biggest social platforms in the world. It is the most favorite address for gaming enthusiasts. If you like games and you like to watch people play and analyze their actions Twitch is your place. It is also said for the good players who like to show their game. So a lot of streamers on the platform wonder how to get donations on Twitch.
Twitch has become very popular in recent years. Now it is possible to see streamers who like to earn their money through Twitch. It sounds like a dream getting paid by playing games. However, it is not actually very easy.
If you want to earn money on Twitch, you have to be persistent about your playtime. This way you can create an audience for yourself.
You should take playing video games seriously. This may not exactly be a job, however, it is a responsibility and you should have a respectful approach to this. Choose your games wisely and try to be as professional as you get.
There are several ways to make money on Twitch. You can get donations and tips. We will touch upon how to get donations on Twitch in three possible ways. Now let’s take a look at the ways to get donations on Twitch.
Ways to Get Donations on Twitch
You can set up donations on Twitch directly leading to your account. There are three ways to get donations, but only two of them are actually on your control directly. One of them is creating a Donation Button.
Creating a Donation Button
You can create this Donation Button with third-party apps such as Donorbox, StreamLabs, or StreamBits. One of the best known third-party apps about this is Donorbox. So, we will touch upon the steps to get donations from Donorbox.
- Select an image for your Donation or Donate Button. You can find available images on Donorbox.
- Start linking your Donorbox form to Twitch by clicking on your Twitch user name and selecting ‘Channel.’
- Turn on the ‘Edit Panels’ switch on.
- Then click on the large ‘+’ image to add a text or an image panel and enter a title.
- Select ‘Add Image’ to add your Donate Button that you have selected from Donorbox.
- Go to Donorbox to copy the link to your donation page.
- Paste the link to the box that says ‘Image Links to’ and type a description.
- Click on ‘Submit’ and turn off the ‘Edit Panels’ function.
- Now the Donate Button will appear on your Twitch streams and viewers will be able to donate directly to your bank account.
Donorbox accepts donations by credit cards, PayPal, and low-cost ACH bank transfers.
Get Donations Directly by PayPal
Another way to get donations is by using PayPal directly. You can ask your viewers to donate you directly from PayPal. You can either use your e-mail address associated with your PayPal account or set up a PayPal.me link.
Another and the easiest way to get donations from PayPal is to create a PayPal donation button. Here are the steps to do it:
- Log into your PayPal account and go to your Profile.
- Then go to ‘My Selling Tools.’
- Go to PayPal Buttons section and select ‘Create a New Button.’
- Choose the ‘Donation’ button from the list and enter your Twitch Channel name. You can change the style of the button by customizing it.
- Save the button on your desktop by selecting the ‘Save Image As’ option from the Preview section.
- Select your currency and click on ‘Create Button.’ Then go to the e-mail tab and follow the ‘Select Code’ option and copy the code.
- Log in to Twitch and go to the Channel section.
- Click on the ‘Admin’ button and then select ‘Edit.’ Use the ‘+’ image to add a title. You can name it ‘Donation.’
- Once you are done, click on the ‘Image Links to’ option, then past the Donation Button code you copied from PayPal.
- Go to the Admin section and click on ‘View.’ Now you can find your new Donate Button for PayPal below your Twitch stream.
Get Donations From Cheers
Twitch has its own virtual currency called Bits. Bits can be bought by real-life money and can be used inside Twitch.
When you are streaming, you can see some elements that look like shiny images in the chatbox. You can see how many Bits the viewers send you by the image of the Cheer. They vary from color to color.
As a streamer, you can determine the minimum number of Bits to Cheer on your channel. The viewers cannot send Bits less than the number that was set up.
Cheers are like tips, they are bought by Bits but by Cheering viewers unlock Cheer Chat Badges, so it is their interest as well. It may be the easiest way to get money on Twitch, however, you can only use Bits inside Twitch.
Donations are seen as income so yes, your donations may get taxed. However, if you convince your tax office that these donations are not profits, then you can have the option not to pay taxes. Low profits might be tax-free but if you get a lot of income from these donations, they will be taxed.
Not all of them, but there are famous and wealthy streamers out there. The richest ones have a high number of followers and they get to be known in other social media platforms as well.
According to 2019 data, the most popular channel is Ninja with more than 14 million followers.
Twitch has become one of the platforms that you can make money. That is why streamers wondered how to get donations on Twitch. We have covered the answer with three easy ways to get donations.
It is possible to get donations by setting up a Donation Button, by Bits, or directly by PayPal. In the end, you can receive recompense for your work.