Google Maps is a crucial application. If we are going somewhere we don’t know, we use Google Maps to navigate us. It does not even have to be somewhere we don’t know. We use Google Maps to facilitate our journey. It is useful if you want to avoid traffic when you are going somewhere. So, Maps users wonder how to drop a pin on Google Maps.
Google Maps is a very useful application when we are going somewhere but it is useful when meeting with someone as well. In the old days, we described the location to the people we are meeting with. However, meetings became so easy thanks to Google Maps.
Now it is possible to send the location to our friends or people we are meeting with through Google Maps and it navigates us to that location.
However, sometimes we cannot find the exact location on Google Maps when we search by its name. There is a chance that the place is not introduced to Maps. In this case, we have to send the location manually.
If the place you are looking for is not on the maps or if you want to refer to a specific location like a house address, you have to drop a pin on Google Maps.
Many people wonder how to drop a location pin on Google Maps because it can be confusing sometimes.
Now let’s take a look at the ways to drop a Google Maps pin.
How to Drop a Pin on a Desktop
It is possible to drop location pins on a desktop, and it is pretty simple. You can find the steps below:
- Find the location you want on Google Maps and left-click on the exact spot.
- Then you will see a gray dropped pin on the map.
- You will also see some information about the spot at the bottom of the screen as a pop-up.
- The information will include; the street view, the street name, the door number (if there is a building), the coordinates, and an arrow to see the possible ways to get there.
If you click on the information, the dropped pin will get bigger and turn into red. Then you can find more detailed information about the spot from the column that will appear on the left.
You can switch to Google Street View from the information box.
It is possible to drop two pins if you want to know how to navigate between the two marked spots.
- Click on the arrow button next to the search bar on the top left side of the screen.
- Click on the map to choose a starting point.
- Then click on the map again to choose a destination.
Now you can navigate between two spots.
How to Drop a Pin on a Mobile Device
It is not much different than the desktop steps but you have to long-press on the screen to get it working. Here are the steps:
- Open the Google Maps app on your device.
- Find the location you want to drop a pin.
- Long-press on the location to drop a pin.
- You will see an information box similar to the desktop. It will include the street view, the street name, the door number (if there is a building), the coordinates, and an arrow to see the possible ways to get there.
- Additionally, you can share, save, and label the location.
Just like on the desktop, you can use the arrow button to drop two pins and navigate between them.
Again you have to select a starting point and a destination. However, this time, when you choose to select from the map, Google Maps will make a red pin and you can move it around by moving your finger around the screen. Tap on ‘Ok’ to select a location.
Open the Google Maps app and make sure you are connected to the internet and signed-in to Google Maps. Then search for a place, like New York. Tap on the name or the address of the place and tap on the download button.
Yes, it is free to use and download maps. Signing-in would make things easier on Google Maps though.
Yes, you can download Google Maps fro the App Store.
We have covered ‘how to drop a pin on Google Maps.’ It is a brilliant application to find your way around the town. If you want to send a location to your friends but the address is not introduced to the Maps, you have to drop a pin manually.
We have mentioned how to drop pins on a desktop and a mobile device step by step. The only major difference is, you have to long-press on the screen to drop a pin from a mobile device.