We investigated the details on what “keyword research” is and how to optimize it in the SEO process. We prepared this article to help guide you through this process.
Google’s algorithm updates have been around for a while now; as the algorithm evolved, one thing stayed consistent. Using keyword research for optimizing how your website shows up in the search results. Figuring out how SEO works and analyzing the results of it stayed as a crucial skill throughout all levels of SEO.
What Are Keywords & What Is Keyword Research?
Keywords are basically what we type into search engines. As an example, for a Starbucks employee working on SEO, “coffee” is a keyword. Keyword research is the practice of finding these terms and analyzing them. Then this information is either used for general marketing or, as we’ll talk about in today’s article, search engine optimization (SEO).
The main reason for using “keyword research” is to get a better understanding of your target market and audience.
How to Find Keyword Ideas?
Every website owner wants to have a high ranking on the first page. The first step to this is understanding how customers think and how they might search for your organization. Of course, as it is with every marketing strategy, knowing your industry is crucial. But this time, you also need to know how keyword research tools work and how to utilize them.
Now let’s start finding some keyword ideas and move on from there into the process. The first words that come into your mind when you think about your business and industry are your “Seed Keywords.” These will help you find out who your competition is.
If you already have some words in mind, like your product and the topics of your content, let’s use these “seed keywords” to discover new keywords. As we begin our keyword research, there are a few steps we can take.
- Enter the seed keywords into a search engine and find out what questions and topics come up with it. Doing this will be looking at the web from the eyes of your potential customers/readers.
- Now you might see that some of these keywords are searched a lot more than others; this means they have a higher search volume. Making use of this high volume and focusing on the keywords that come up most might seem like a good idea since it’ll mean a big number of users. But we should also consider keywords with low search volumes because there will be less competition there. Finding the right place between these volumes is vital.
- Using the search engine should also give you some ideas on who your competitors are and how they rank on the first page. Using a tool like “ Ahrefs’ Site Explorer” will give a better insight on how the competition is doing regards to their search traffic and other stats. Gaining competitive intelligence this way while providing you with more keywords and data will also help identify search trends. Ahrefs’ tool also has a feature called “Top keyword” this keyword has the highest search volume because it’s probably coming up through an organic search.
By now, you should see that knowing your industry and business is not enough. But studying your competitors and using the search engines yourself is useful.
Using Keyword Research Tools
You might be thinking, after finding keywords yourself, using the search engine, even analyzing your competition, there aren’t enough unique options. Now, this is where “keyword research Tools” comes in. These tools all work similarly. You type in a keyword; the tool brings you back more keywords from their database related to the one you put it.
Some examples of these tools:
- Seobook.com: This is a free-to-use tool (with a free account) that was built by researching data from “Google Search-Based Keyword Tool” and also a few more databases.
- Soovle: This tool uses different sources like Google, YouTube, Yahoo, etc. It’s one of the most useful because of the easy access it offers by having all these engines in the same place.
- Answer the Public: This tool works a bit differently from the rest. Instead of finding other keywords, it shows you common questions your target audience asks.
- Google Keyword Planner: This is by far the most popular and well-known tool out of all the ones we mentioned. Normally this tool is made for advertisers and used by them. But it can also be used to find keywords.
How to Analyze Keywords
As you now have a bunch of different keyword ideas, it is time to pick the best one. There are also some helpful tools for this purpose. Google Keyword Planner: This is one of the most obvious ones. The data comes straight from Google. It shows you the volume of the keywords as well as the fluctuations. Google Trends: This one is mostly used for interpreting seasonal changes in keyword fluctuations. It can also be filtered into different categories, time periods, and countries.
Identifying Search Intent
Now that we picked our keywords, it is time for finding out the intent of these words usage. After all, we want our visitors to purchase our products/services. Sometimes companies make the mistake of using keywords just as a way for the website to be seen. While that would work, it shouldn’t be the main purpose. Here’s why:
We want users to find the information they were looking for when they used the keywords so that the page’s ranking stays high. We don’t want users to just leave and look at another website.
Finding out how to utilize intent is once again using Google. Act as a member of your target audience and type in a keyword. The first results should give you an idea of what your content must look like.
FAQ About Keyword Research & SEO
Most of the sites and tools we recommended are free.
You can use Google Trends and filter by YouTube.
The internet gives us the possibility to access millions of people. But to be able to make use of this, we must understand how SEO works. This is the main reason keyword research is important.
It works by analyzing the search data created by all the people who use search engines.
As there are many tools for this purpose, it is hard to say which one is the best. Trying out these tools and reading about other people’s opinions on them should give you an idea of which one of them would work best for you.
Conclusion on Keyword Research
It is impossible to survive on the world wide web without proper usage of SEO and Keyword tools. In this article, we investigated how to properly use them while explaining what they are. We hope you were able to learn more about keyword research for SEO. Want further assistance? Check out Google Keyword Planner.