Disabling unnecessary startup programs on Windows 10 is a great way to increase your PC’s boot-up time. You can also improve your PC’s performance, both short and long term, by reducing the startup impact. In this article, we will explain how to disable startup programs on Windows 10.
Windows 10 lets its users disable or change startup programs in no time. You can follow the below-listed steps to disable startup programs on Windows 10:
- Launch the “Task Manager” by using the Ctrl+Alt+Del combination. You can also search for it by typing the search bar.
- Click on the “Startup” section to view the list of programs.
- On the list, right-click on the program you want to disable on startup.
- On the menu, click the “Disable” option.
Programs on the startup list are there for convenience as none of them are necessary for Windows 10 to function. You can enable programs that you frequently use and don’t want to open manually.
How to Change Startup Programs?
It is also possible for Windows 10 users to change startup programs from PC settings. You can follow these three steps to change startup programs:
- Click on the Windows logo located at the bottom-left corner or press the Windows logo on your keyboard.
- Click on the search icon and type “Startup Apps.”
- On the menu, you can view programs that are listed by their memory usage and startup impact. Use the toggle to enable or disable programs.
FAQs about Disabling Startup Programs on Windows 10
Programs that are listed on the startup programs menu are all unnecessary for Windows 10 to boot. However, enabling startup programs like OneDrive or Antivirus software might be better for your computer and files.
Too many startup programs and background programs are two of the most common reasons for a slow computer. To fix this problem, you should disable startup programs and remove memory-consuming background programs.
You can automatically start any program while starting your PC in Windows 10. You should list all programs and copy the shortcut of the program you want to start at boot. Then, paste the shortcut into the startup folder, which is also located in the all programs menu.
Unlike old Windows versions, Windows 10 doesn’t play a startup sound by default. You can change this setting in the “Sound” menu by checking the “Play Windows Startup Sound” option.
Updating drivers, using third-party disk management software, turning off search indexing, cleaning registry, and disabling startup programs are some of the most helpful methods to improve the performance of your PC.
Disabling Startup Programs on Windows 10 in Short
You can change and disable startup programs on Windows 10 to start your computer faster. In this article, we listed the required steps to change startup programs by using two different methods. If you liked this article about the startup programs on Windows, you can also like how to take a screenshot on Windows as well.