Tumblr was used to be known as a platform where its users create and search content freely. However, in December 2018, Tumblr decided to remove NSFW content with an update due to unfortunate reasons and a disagreement with the iOS App Store. This has become a major reason for users to ask the question ‘how to delete your Tumblr account?’
This is not the only reason users delete their accounts; of course, there might be several reasons. Deleting the Tumblr account is pretty simple, and we will inform you about how to do it. However, you might not want to delete your account permanently but close it for a temporary period.
How to Temporarily Close Your Account?
You can temporarily close your account on many platforms if you do not want to deal with organizing your account or just don’t feel like it. However, Tumblr does not let you close your account temporarily. Yet there are still ways to do it similarly.
On Tumblr, you can have more than one blog. One is your main blog; it is your first blog when you open an account. Others are called secondary blogs. Those are the blogs that you create after creating your account.
Tumblr lets you delete your secondary blogs easily. To delete these blogs, follow the instructions below:
On a Web Browser
- Click on the gear icon to get to ‘Settings’ on the dashboard.
- Choose the Tumblr blog you want to delete or leave.
- Lastly, click on the ‘Delete blog’ button.
On Mobile App
- Log in to your account and select Settings from the dashboard.
- Choose the blog you want to delete.
- On the iOS app, swipe left on the blog to select ‘Delete’ and on the Android app, select Settings, and choose ‘Delete this Tumblr.’
Now your secondary blog is deleted. If you do not want to delete your secondary blogs entirely, you can set them up as private membership group blogs. This way, you can limit access to your blogs without deleting them.
Unfortunately, you cannot do the same to your main blog, which is your actual account. Yet there is a way to hide your account. You can make this adjustment from the privacy settings. Here are the steps to do it:
- Click on the ‘Account’ icon.
- Select ‘Settings,’ and the ‘Settings’ menu will appear.
- On the right, you will see other clickable titles such as Account, Dashboard, etc.
- Click on the ‘Privacy’ title from that menu.
- Turn off the ‘Let others see that you’re active’ switch.
You can also hide your blogs by turning off ‘Let people find your blogs through this address’ switch from the same ‘Settings’ menu but under the ‘Account’ title. This way, people will not be able to search your account through your email address.
How to Delete Your Tumblr Account Permanently?
The only way to delete your main blog is by deleting your account entirely. Here are the steps to delete your account entirely:
- Click on the ‘Account’ button’ on the header.
- Select ‘Settings’ from the menu.
- You will be directly sent to Account Settings; there is a ‘Delete account’ button at the bottom of the page.
- Confirm your wish to delete the account by entering your email.
- Once you click on the ‘Delete account,’ your Tumblr account is deleted permanently.
There is no way of reactivating your account after you delete it. After you delete your Tumblr account, your username and blog URL will be included in the pool for reuse; that is why there is no going back once you do this.
FAQs About Tumblr Accounts
On Android devices, it is simple. Tap on the ‘Account’ button, select ‘Settings,’ and you should be able to see the ‘Delete this Tumblr’ option. Click on it, and then you need to write your password. Enter your password, and your account will be deleted.
You can reach customer service through [email protected], or you can contact from twitter via @tumblr.
Usually, they respond within a day but the duration may change due to work intensity.
All your primary blog and secondary blogs get fully deactivated and removed when you delete your account.
Tumblr deletes accounts that have been inactive for more than two years.
Conclusion About Tumblr Accounts
We have covered how to delete your Tumblr account. Unfortunately, there is no way to temporarily close your account, but we mentioned the closest ways to hide your profile from others on Tumblr. We have also stated that there is no going back when you delete your Tumblr account, but you can delete your secondary blogs easily. Check out more of our Tumblr articles.