Almost all prominent social media platforms have a stories feature. From their first introduction in 2013 by Snapchat, they spread everywhere. Facebook is not an exception to this somewhat permanent and engaging feature. As it is with other social media platforms, Facebook stories also last 24 hours. In this time window, you may want to delete your Facebook story for various reasons. You can read our article and follow the below-listed steps to find out how to delete stories on Facebook.
Delete Stories on Facebook
- Log in to your Facebook profile.
- Navigate to the “Stories” section located at the top of your feed.
- Pick the photo or video you want to delete.
- Select the “three-dot” icon located at the upper-right corner of your story.
- Select “Delete Photo” or “Delete Video,” then select “Delete.”
- You can repeat this process if you have more Facebook stories that you want to remove. Deleted stories are permanently removed so that they won’t be saved to your stories archive.
These steps are valid both on PC and Mac. You can also apply these steps to delete stories on the Facebook mobile app on Android and iOS devices.
Keep in mind that deleted stories also disappear from Facebook Messenger if they’ve been shared with other users through the app. Any changes, such as muting a story, will update the story across both apps.
How to Delete Archived Facebook Stories
If your story archive option is turned on, Facebook will automatically archive your photos and videos posted as Facebook stories after 24 hours. Your story archive is only visible to you. However, you still want to delete them. You can follow these steps to delete archived Facebook stories on desktops:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on your profile picture located at the top right and go to your Facebook profile.
- Click on the “three-dot” icon, then select “Archive.”
- Select archived Facebook stories you want to delete.
How to Hide Stories on Facebook From Certain People
If you want to hide your Facebook stories from certain friends, you can also follow these steps:
- Log in to your Facebook account on a desktop or mobile device.
- Navigate to the “Create a Story” section located at the top of your feed.
- Click on the “Gear” icon located at the top left.
- Set your story privacy option to “Friends”.
- Tap the “Hide Story From” section.
- Select people from the list that you’d like to hide your stories from.
- Tap the “Save” button.
It is important to note that those settings will apply to photos/videos that are currently in your story after you change Facebook story privacy settings.
FAQ on How to Delete Stories on Facebook
Similar to other social media platforms, a Facebook story lasts 24 hours. Then, they are saved to
your Facebook story archive which is only visible to you.
Facebook doesn’t allow seeing other Facebook stories without the user knowing by default.
It is possible to view how many people and who viewed a Facebook story. You need to click on
your story at the top of your news feed to view it.
You can clear cookies and cache, update your web browser, relog, and check your internet
connection if you can’t view Facebook stories.
Facebook uses several signals to determine how Facebook stories are ordered on your feed.
Your estimated interest, posting time, and your relationship with the poster are the most
Conclusion on How to Delete Stories on Facebook
Facebook, similar to other social media platforms, has a story feature. Facebook users may want to remove their stories within 24 hours. This article covered the necessary steps on how to delete stories on Facebook, delete archived stories, and hide Facebook stories from certain people. Lastly, what if a story isn’t what you wanted to delete? Need to delete something bigger? Like a page? You are in luck because we have a guide for that as well: How to Delete a Facebook Page?