Facebook implemented a fantastic new visual feature that effectively uses machine learning to turn any 2D image into a 3D photo. So viewers can enjoy seeing the photo from different perspectives when they tilt their phones or scroll onto it. Basically, on Facebook, you can now create a 3D photo out of any 2D photo you want, that moves when you tilt your device.
Before this update, it was still possible to post 3D photos on Facebook, but it required a dual-lens portrait mode available on newer smartphones. You can now make any photo a 3D image on Facebook, even if captured with a single rear-facing camera.
This new fun tool utilizes machine learning to extrapolate the 3D shape of objects in your photo and use them to generate a compelling 3D effect. So how can you create a 3D photo on Facebook?
- Launch the Facebook app and tap “What’s on Your Mind?” at the top of your newsfeed
- Tap on “Photo/Video”
- Select your desired photo to make 3D and tap “Done.”
- Tap “Make 3D” located in the top left of your photo
- Preview the 3D effect by tilting your phone
- You can add text or any other features, then tap “Share” or “Post.”
Keep in mind that these listed steps might slightly differ for Android devices.
How to Make a 3D Photo on Facebook From Your Computer?
If you want to make a 3D photo on Facebook from a computer, you can follow these easy steps:
- Use .png or .jpg format.
- Create a copy of the image you want to make 3D.
- Add “_depth” to the file name and save it.
- Click on “Photo/Video” at the top of your News Feed.
- Select your two images and drag them onto the post.
- Wait for it to be processed and click “Post.”
Tips to Get Better 3D Photo Results on Facebook
If your 3D photos do not look the way you want them to be, you can try these listed tips:
- Try to upload photos that already have some differentiation between its foreground and background.
- Stand a couple of feet away from the main object.
- Reflective objects are not suitable for the effect.
- Contrast is also important; photos with a clear differentiation between colors and light will make the effect better.ü
FAQs About 3D Photo on Facebook
You don’t have to setup anything on your phone to see 3D photos other than usual Facebook updates. If you can’t view them on your phone, likely, it is not a supported device for 3D photos on Facebook.
You can save your 3D photo on your device after you upload it on Facebook.
3D photo technology creates its effect on the relationship between the foreground and background. Facebook 3D photos make it by using a developed machine learning technology, resulting in better 3D effects.
Currently, there isn’t an option to disable viewing 3D photos on your feed.
iPhones after iPhone SE and almost all android smartphones manufactured after 2014 can view and use the 3D photo effect on Facebook.
Conclusion on 3D Facebook Photos
This article describes the topic of how to create a 3D photo on Facebook. Most people are interested and want to know how this innovation works. Well, When you catch a shot through Facebook, Facebook uses AI to carve out the image. Also, you can check our article about Best Times to Post on Facebook for posting your 3D photo at the right time for the best engagement.