What is Instagram archive? The feature lets anyone on Instagram hide their old posts without deleting them. If you go into the “…” menu on a photo, where you’d normally see options like edit and delete, there’ll now be an option to archive the image placed right on top. Hitting that button will send the photo to a private gallery, your archive, where only you can see it.
Have you ever scrolled through your Instagram feed and felt the sudden impulse to delete an old post that doesn’t quite fit?
That’s exactly why Instagram created its Archive feature. Rather than deleting the Instagram posts you don’t like anymore, with Instagram Archive you can simply hide them from appearing on your feed! Think of it like a privacy mode: once you hit the Archive button on a post, that photo or video will be sent to a private gallery (along with its comments and likes) that only you can access. You can later unarchive it when you feel the time is right. Hence no more deleting posts. (Instagram Support)
To add posts to your Archive:
- Go to your Instagram post on your feed
- In the top right of the post you’ll see 3 dots
- Tap on that and click archive
- This will instantly send the post to your archive
You can access the Archive by going to your Instagram profile and pressing on the clock in the top left corner.
But what if you regret archiving the post and want it back? That’s not a big issue since your posts aren’t deleted this way.
How to Unarchive a Post on Instagram:
- First, go to your profile page
- Then, click on the clock in the top left corner
- Tap on “Archive” at the top and that will prompt 2 sections to show.
- Tap on Posts
- Next, go to the post you want to unarchive
- Tap the 3 dots at the top right corner
- Finally press “Show on Profile”
This will bring it back to where to it usually was.
The Archive feature is not just limited to your own posts but also other posts from other accounts as well. Maybe you want to save a Post of a funny video so you can check it out in the future. This is useful as it’s different from liking or taking a screenshot. This way they are all saved right in the app.