- Did you ever share a post and immediately regret it because it’s three in the morning and nobody’s even online at that time?
- Have you ever scrolled through your Instagram feed and felt the sudden impulse to delete an old post that doesn’t quite fit?
If those ever happened to you, you should drop the old-fashioned way and stop deleting those posts altogether. Wouldn’t it be better if you archive a post on Instagram, then use it later as you want?
That’s exactly why Instagram created its Archive feature. Rather than deleting the Instagram posts, which you don’t like anymore, with Instagram Archive you can simply hide them from appearing on your feed!
What’s Instagram’s Archive Feature?
What is an Instagram archive? What is the difference between that and other archive features? The feature lets anyone on Instagram hide their old posts without deleting them. In this way, if you somehow didn’t save the picture on any other storage, you may gain access to that later.
Think of it as a privacy mode: once you hit the Archive button on a post, that photo or video will be sent to a private gallery (along with its comments and likes) that only you can access.
You can later unarchive it when you feel the time is right. Hence no more deleting posts
Hitting that button will send the photo to a private gallery, your archive, where only you can see it. Therefore, if you don’t manually unarchive or delete those photos later, it’s guaranteed that your archive will stay intact for at least a century or so.
How to Add Posts to Your Archive
If you’re not sure about a post’s initial success and how exciting it is, it’s not a good idea to directly delete it without even experimenting. Therefore, you should achieve the post to take a more in-depth look later.
If you tap and go into the three-dotted menu icon on a photo, where you’d normally see options like Edit and Delete, there’ll now be an option to archive the image placed right on the top-right corner of it.
- Open Instagram and log in with your credentials.
- Go to any Instagram post on your feed that you want to archive.
- In the top right of the post, you’ll see an icon with three dots.
- Tap on that icon and hit the Archive button from
- This will instantly send the post to your archive.
You can access the Archive by going to your Instagram profile and tapping on the three horizontal lines next to your username. Then tap on the ‘Archive’ button.
- Your posts and Stories will be listed here.
- You can switch between them through the drop-down menu that is located at the top center of the screen.
Is Instagram Stories Archive a Thing?
Also, your Instagram Stories get archived too if you don’t delete them before they disappear on their own.
In that way, if you didn’t delete any of your Stories from the day that the feature has rolled out, you’re technically able to see your Stories from the year 2016.
All you have to do to see your Stories is hitting the arrow icon where it’s saying “Archive” in your archive at the bottom-top of your screen and tap “Stories,” thereby, all of your Stories will get in order chronologically.
How to Unarchive a Post on Instagram
But what if you regret archiving the post and undo what you just did? Maybe it was you tripping out with the post and it was a hit from the start. That’s not a big issue since your posts aren’t deleted in this manner.
You can always bring any post back to life at once like Frankenstein and enjoy its presence like it never did disappear in the first place.
- First, go to your Instagram profile.
- Then, tap on the clock icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Archive” at the top and that will prompt two sections to show.
- Hit the Posts button to proceed.
- Next, go to the post you want to unarchive. Tap on it.
- Hit the three-dotted icon at the top right corner of the screen and, finally, hit “Show on Profile.”
This will bring your post back to where it usually was.
Conclusion Archiving a Post on Instagram
With this game-changing feature, we don’t even need psychical photo galleries anymore as it’s guaranteed that Instagram won’t collect dust on the top of your drawer.
Nevertheless, we respect if you’re more like an old school fella, you can still enjoy Instagram. If you ever decide to archive one of your posts on Instagram, you’ll know that your posts are in reliable hands.
What’s the date of your earliest archived Instagram Story? Could you be able to take it way back to 2016? Let us know right down in the comments. Thank you for reading this article! By the way, if you want to learn more features about IG we strongly suggest you learn how to hide accidental likes on Instagram.