Facebook stated that %90 of its users access Facebook by their mobile phones. It means that Facebook became a big part of people’s lives and easily reachable. Therefore, you may want to take a break and move away a little from Facebook and Messenger. If you want to appear offline on Facebook, these are the steps!
How to Appear Offline on Facebook
Web browsers’ and mobile devices’ settings may differ. Even most people use their mobile devices for Facebook; you can check the web browsers’ settings too.
To appear offline on Facebook via your web browsers, open Facebook on the browser, and follow the steps.
- Click the chat tab and find the Gear button.
- Tap the option named “Turn off active status.”
- On the appeared tab, there are three options for whom you want to appear offline. Select one of them and click “Okay.”
For the mobile application of Facebook, the steps are different. Let’s see them!
- Go to the application on your phone, and sign in to your account.
- Tap the “Hamburger menu” on the right top corner of the page.
- Go to the “Settings” page by clicking “Settings & Privacy.”
- Click the “Active Status” button.
- Change the option named “Show when you’re active” from on to off.
How to Appear Offline on Facebook Messenger
Facebook Messenger and Facebook accounts and apps are conducted differently. It is because you can use Facebook Messenger without a Facebook account. Therefore, their settings are different too. If you want to appear offline on Facebook Messenger, there are steps for both computers and mobile devices.
Open Facebook Messenger on your browser and follow the steps.
- Sign in to your account first.
- On the left-hand side of the page, click the “Settings” icon.
- There is an option named “Show when you’re active” on the appeared tab; turn it off.
To appear offline on the Facebook Messenger app, go to the application, and follow the steps.
- On the left top of the screen, tap your avatar.
- Click the option named “Active Status.”
- On the appeared tab, turn off the option named “Show when you’re active.”
FAQ for Active Status on Facebook and Facebook Messenger
Active now with green light means that the user is online on the chat at the moment. Just the “active now” statement means that you or the user closed their chat.
It depends on the user’s activity. While they are chatting, they seem active with the green dot. When they stop being active, the time they were active seems like “5 minutes ago”.
While turning off your active status, you can state the names and hide your status from them.
Actually, you cannot. It is because, especially on the application, Facebook does not change your status unless you force it to do so. Hence, your status can seem active while Facebook is open in the background.
Unless you turn your status off, the active status disappears after 3 days.
Conclusion on Facebook Active Status
While you are active on Facebook, your contacts and/or friends can send notifications or messages to you. However, you may not feel to chat with someone anytime. Therefore, you may want to turn off your active status and be invisible on Facebook. There are ways of doing it in this article. Hopefully, you like them!
Since you read this, we believe you value your privacy. Therefore, while you are at it, you can also find out the results of hiding comments on Facebook, especially if you want to improve your browsing experience.