One of the most popular online marketing channels is undoubtedly social media. With social media becoming a part of our lives, social platforms have become an important marketing channel for brands. Today, you’re going to learn how you can advertise on Instagram.
Instagram ads and Facebook ads are crucial for businesses to reach their target audience and give them a pleasant experience.
Well, you can advertise on Facebook too. Both have their pros and cons regarding digital advertising.
Why Advertise on Instagram?
As of 2019, more than 2 million businesses are using Instagram advertising to reach their target audience, acquire followers, or display their products to the relevant people.
According to June 2018, the number of active Instagram users has exceeded 1 billion.
We can easily say that there are more Instagram users than the total population of European countries.
- 70% of Instagram users are looking for a brand
70% of users are looking for a brand on Instagram. Being in this medium is another reason to show yourself to your customers.
- Ten times more interactions than Facebook ads
Although Facebook is one of the most important social media channels with more than 1.4 billion users, Instagram brands can get ten times more interactions than their peers on Facebook.
- 60% of users learn about new products through Instagram
More than half of Instagram users have discovered a new product thanks to this medium.
At the same time, 30% of users say they have purchased these products. In other words, one out of three people makes a purchase through Instagram. Do you realize how high this percentage is?
- Average CPC for social media ads
The average cost-per-click for Instagram ads is almost twice as high as for Facebook. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t advertise on Instagram.
If it allows you to get a positive ROI, you don’t need to think about CPC costs. Especially in European countries, it still remains in an advantageous position compared to its global average CPC costs.
Today, we’re going to focus more on Instagram due to the app’s sudden rise in popularity. However, you can use the steps we are going to list below to advertise on Facebook too.
Instagram Advertising Models
You can advertise with different models on Instagram. There are four different Instagram advertising models that you can use at the basic level.
These are image, video, carousel, and Story ads. They all have different uses, and you’ll gain various advantages over others when you consciously choose the right one.
You can advertise on Instagram using a single image. You can hook up the people with an impressive image and run ads with high conversion rates.
The recommended visual size is 1080×1080, and the visual ratio is 1:1. At the same time, you should take care not to use too much text on the image you have prepared.
This will directly affect the exposure to your ads. You can check the estimated performance of the image you are preparing from the text overlay tool.
These are scrollable ads that you can run using multiple images. Also, it’s possible for you to use videos as well as images in carousel ads.
You can use carousel ads if you want to advertise multiple products at the same time, or if you want to describe the characteristics of your single product in different visuals.
Also, don’t forget that you can set different redirects and landing pages for your image/video in these types of ads.
Instagram users’ interest in videos increases every year. You can advertise on Instagram using your video content. And you can be sure that your engagement rates will be higher compared to an image ad.
The recommended video length for Instagram ads is 15 seconds. At the same time, the recommended aspect ratio is 4: 5, i.e., vertical.
You can use up to 60 seconds of videos in Stories and up to 120 seconds in the Instagram streams. Your videos should be a minimum of 600 pixels wide and a maximum of 4 GB in size.
Instagram Story ads
Although I don’t actually have a different ad model, I felt the need to separate Instagram Story ads like a different ad model.
You can advertise in the Instagram Stories area with the three ad models mentioned above.
The aspect ratio of the images you will use in Instagram story ads should be 9:16. The recommended image size is 1080×1920 pixels.
If you prefer video ads, it is also advisable to create a video with a 9:16 aspect ratio. Video length should be a maximum of 60 seconds.
How to Advertise on Instagram
In this section, we talked about some of Instagram’s statistics and the general advertising models that you can use on Instagram.
In the rest of the article, we’ll go into a little more technique, and step by step, we’ll talk about how you can advertise on Instagram on a full scene.
You can create Instagram ads on your phone as well as Facebook Business Manager. We’ll prefer the second way at this point because we want to go into more detail.
Prepare the Essentials
- First of all, let’s log in to your Facebook account that is linked to your Instagram account and click the “OK” icon at the top right of the page and click the “Create Ad’ menu in the drop-down list. The ad manager page will open then; let’s click the “Interaction” menu here.
- After clicking the “Interaction” menu, a box will open at the bottom where you can type the campaign name. Let’s write down what you want your campaign name to be, and then click ‘Continue.’
- Then, in “Including,” let’s find and mark your location on the map. Also, let’s choose the age range; in the gender section, you can select a specific gender, or you can select all. In the Languages section, you can also select the languages you want related to your promotion.
- Afterward, in the Browse section, let’s choose what your ad is about. You will then need to select the Connection type. And then, in the “Tag” section, you’ll need to enter the name you entered for the campaign name, and finally, click the “Save This Audience” button to specify your target.
- In the opened section, a summary of the information you will publish will be displayed; if the information is correct and confirm, let’s click the “Save” button.
- Click the “Edit Ad Slot” menu under Ad Slots. At the bottom right under “Platforms,” you will see the “Facebook” and “Instagram” options, decide on which should be selected.
Set Your Budget
- The “Budget and Plan” section will show the daily fee you will be charged. You can reduce or increase this fee, but you can play on your daily budget from a minimum of 2.5 to a maximum of 50. And you can choose the start and end date of your ad; your ads will appear between the dates and times you selected. Also, between the dates and times you have selected, the daily advertising fee will be charged
- In the “Page and Post” section, you will have a page linked to your Facebook account; if you have multiple pages, let’s choose which page you want your ad to run on.
- In your Facebook timeline, let’s choose which image you want to appear in your ad (choose from the Timeline pictures section).
- After selecting the ad image, there will be an “Add an Account’ button below; let’s click this button.
If you’re considering advertising on Instagram, it’s perfectly normal to wonder what ad prices are. You need to know how much advertising will cost you, so you can set a budget for your business and evaluate the results.
In fact, there is no specific price for advertising on Instagram because the cost of Instagram ads depends on many factors. In a clearer sense, Instagram does not say” you have to pay us $100 or $1000 per month to make advertising and does not impose any budget.
You can set your ads’ budget to be the daily and total budget. You can set a budget of $10 or $100 daily, $1000 monthly, or $5000 monthly. Therefore, don’t worry about your budget that much. There’s something for everyone.
It is banned for users who are called “social media influencers” on the platform to promote electronic cigarettes, tobacco, and gun-like products.
Instagram, owned by Facebook, had previously forbidden the promotion of these products through companies.
However, companies were marketing these products through sharing and hashtags using famous names and influencers with thousands of followers.
First of all, we can say that Instagram ads cost much higher than other social media platforms.
This is because sharper targeting is possible on Instagram, which results in a greater return on investment.
Link Your Facebook and Instagram Accounts
- When you click the “Add an Account” button, a new box will appear. In the “Linking an Instagram Account to Advertise” window, select the “Link an existing account’ option. Enter the username and password of your Instagram account that is linked to your Facebook account and click “Confirm.”
- After entering the user name and password of your Instagram account and clicking the ‘Confirm’ button, your Instagram account will be added to Facebook. Don’t forget that your ad will be displayed on that Instagram account.
- Then there will be a “Place Order’ button at the bottom of the page. After providing the final checks of the ad you’re going to run, let’s click the “Place Order” button.
- The ad you will run will appear in the “Ad Manager” section. If Facebook approves, your ad will run on both your Facebook and Instagram accounts if you selected both, within the date and time you specified.
Add CTA Buttons to Your Ad
You can add a specific call to action buttons to your Instagram ads based on your advertising goals.
Some of the action call buttons you can use are listed below:
- Shop now
- Learn more
- Contact us