WhatsApp is a free messaging service currently used by over 1 billion people worldwide, and it is the biggest messenger app right now. WhatsApp is similar to other text messaging services, but except for one thing, WhatsApp works with an internet connection. Many people have wondered how does WhatsApp work.
It needs an internet connection to send messages. WhatsApp can also send users voice messages, your location, photos, and videos to each other. Besides, you can have group chats and create separate groups with people you want, such as your close friends, family, or colleagues. Now let’s see how does WhatsApp work.
How to Use WhatsApp
First of all, you need a compatible mobile device with a sim card, phone number, and an internet connection. You can use the WhatsApp messaging service on your iPhone devices, Android devices, and also on Mac and other computers utterly free of charge. If you want to know how WhatsApp works, you can download the WhatsApp application by following the steps below and start using WhatsApp by taking the first step.
- First, open your mobile device and download the WhatsApp application to your phone.
- After downloading the app, type your phone number to the screen that appears because WhatsApp needs to send you an SMS to verify your phone number.
- After verifying your phone number, allow WhatsApp to access your contacts.
- Then, you can edit your WhatsApp profile now. Type your name and add an image. You can also add a status if you want. WhatsApp has a status like ‘’Busy, At work, Available, Sleeping, Battery about to die’’ and more, you can write your personal status or choose one of WhatsApp’s status too.
- Now you are ready to chat with your friends and family! Remember that, if you do not want to type, you can always press the microphone button and send a voice message whenever you want and if you want to send a photo, just tap the photo icon at the left corner of the keyboard.
What Do Ticks Mean on WhatsApp
To understand how does WhatsApp works, you need to know what are ticks on WhatsApp. After sending a message to the other person on WhatsApp, you will see some icons, usually colored ticks, in the bottom right corner, and if you are going to use WhatsApp for the first time, you may be wondering what these are.
Gray Clock Icon
If you see a gray clock in the lower right corner of the message you posted after you sent it, it means that you do not have an internet connection; therefore, the message cannot be sent at this time, but it is sent as soon as the internet connection is reached.
One Gray Tick
If you see a gray tick, this indicates that the message has not yet been received by the person you have sent it, and it is possible because the recipient has no internet connection.
Two Gray Ticks
Seeing two gray ticks means your message was taken but not read at the moment; probably the person you have sent a message to did not open the WhatsApp yet.
Two Blue Ticks
If you see two blue ticks on the right corner of your message, this means that they saw your message, which means they opened the app and read it for sure. By the way, you can turn this feature off if you want so that people do not know that you are not responding to them. You can turn off this feature from the Settings on WhatsApp application.
- Go to the Settings and select the Account section.
- Then, click the Privacy part and turn off the slider next to Read Receipts.
- It is useful to remind that when you activate this feature, you can also no longer see if they have read your message.
How to Make Call or Video Call on WhatsApp
Since WhatsApp has entered our lives, it has become very easy not only for text messages but also to do a video chat with people we know from different countries or with whom we do not have the same phone brand. Thanks to WhatsApp, you no longer need to have the same phone brand to make a video call with the person you want.
- To place a video call, open your WhatsApp application on your mobile device and open the chat with the person you want to make a call.
- Tap the phone icon to make a regular call or tap the video camera icon to make a Video Call; that’s it!
How Can I Add New Contact on WhatsApp
In fact, you do not need to add someone while using WhatsApp because if you let the app access your contacts when you start using it, you do not need to add them to the app manually. However, you might want to add some people who are not on WhatsApp. You can add them to your contact list, or you can follow the steps below.
- First, open the WhatsApp application on your mobile device.
- Tap the Chat icon on the screen and then click to pencil and paper icon at the right of the screen to add a new contact.
- Then, tap the New Contact section on the opening screen and type the phone number and the name of the person you want to add.
- That’s it! Now you can chat with this person as you wish.
How to Make a Group on WhatsApp
Group chats let you share messages, photos, and videos with many people at once. You can also name your group, mute notifications, and more. If you are setting up a group for your workplace, you can also create a group setting that only allows managers to send messages to the group. Also, with a tool like WhatsApp link generator, you can quicken the process of people contacting you. Now let’s see how to create a group on WhatsApp:
- Open WhatsApp on your mobile device and tap the chat icon.
- Then select the New Group option on the opening page.
- Choose who you want to add to the group and then tap next.
- Now, you can add a profile photo and a subject for the group.
- Lastly, tap the Create button. You can manage the notification and message settings of the group later as you wish by clicking the group name at the top.
How to Use WhatsApp Web
WhatsApp Web is the web-based version of the WhatsApp application you use on your mobile device. Since WhatsApp provides its users with access over the web, you can access WhatsApp both on the computer and on your phone. WhatsApp Web is a savior for you at this point if you need to continue communication while you are dealing with anything at the computer. Please do not forget that before you can use WhatsApp Web, you must already be using WhatsApp on your mobile device, and the WhatsApp version on your device must be the latest version.
- Go to the web.whatsapp.com address from your computer.
- Open your mobile device and tap the WhatsApp application; you will see a QR code on the screen.
- If you are using iOS, go to Settings and then click on the WhatsApp Web section. For Android users, you should click on the menu and then tap the WhatsApp Web option.
- Now, scan the QR code on the WhatsApp Web page by focusing on your phone’s camera.
- After scanning the QR code, you can now check WhatsApp on your computer and your phone. That’s all. Now you can use WhatsApp web like you are using it on your phone.
WhatsApp in Short
So far, we have answered the question “how does WhatsApp work?”. Although it is actually a messaging service, what you can do on WhatsApp is not only messaging. Many features such as group chat, normal or video calling, and the ability to use on the desktop allow WhatsApp to stand out from other applications. We can no longer think of a world without WhatsApp, and knowing how does WhatsApp work provides great convenience in our lives.
Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are both applications for creating conversations with people you know. You can create chat groups or make video calls ...
If you want to learn more about how does WhatsApp work, read our other articles about it. You may be interested in how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages.