Instagram is a top-rated application with 1 billion users, so we all know what is Instagram. However, do we really know the answer to the question “how does Instagram work”? Instagram is a social network service in which you can share photos and videos. Instagram allows you to capture pictures using the mobile app, and then you can apply a variety of filters to your photos, rotate and crop them, and apply borders to them.
You can follow your family, friends, or users that you’re interested in on Instagram. You can see the latest posts from the people you follow on your homepage, which is called feed. You can like posts and comment on them. You can tap on the heart to like posts or double tap on the post to like it. Moreover, your followers can like and comment on your photos too.
As you publish your photos on Instagram, you can share your photo on Facebook and Twitter at the same time too. You can add captions to your images and tag friends who use Instagram in your photos. You can also add place information on your photos, which means where you took that photo. Then both you and other users on Instagram can see who’s been taking photos and where.
How to Create an Instagram Account
If you want to open an Instagram account, you must first download the Instagram app. Using your smartphone or mobile device, download the free Instagram app from either the Apple Store or Google Play. When the application is installed on your phone, open the application, and follow the steps below:
- You can create an account in one of two ways. You can use your email or phone number to register. Then you should create a username and fill out your profile info and then tap Done. Alternatively, you register with your Facebook account.
- Write an Instagram Biography. Your biography is one of the first thing users see before they scroll down to your images, tell them a little bit more about who you are and what you do.
- Once you’ve set up your Instagram account, it’s time to link your Instagram account to your other social media accounts. I think you’ll want to at least connect yourself to Facebook or Twitter to get followers.
By the way, when opening an Instagram account, you can choose whether it is a public or a private account. If you select a public account, anyone can follow you, see your stories and like your photos. However, if you choose a private account, someone must send you a request to follow you first, in comparison to a public account.
Creating a Business Instagram Account
Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms, and I think every small business should consider using this platform. It’s not too hard to become successful on Instagram. With the right marketing strategy, businesses can promote products and services and increase sales on Instagram. When you sign up for an Instagram account, make sure to create a business profile. Business profiles have access to tools and features that help create a business presence.
To convert your profile to a business profile,
- You’ll first need to go to your profile and press the three bars in the upper right-hand corner.
- Then tap Settings, and select “switch to the business profile.”
- Instagram also recommends that you connect your business profile on Instagram with your business’s Facebook page.
If you need further assistance with this topic, you should check out the official tutorial on Instagram Business.
Posting on Instagram, How Does it Work?
- To share a post, tap the Plus icon in the middle of the bottom toolbar. Then you can choose to take a new photo or video or upload an existing picture from your Gallery. You can add several pictures to one post, as well.
- After you take your photo, you can apply one of Instagram’s many filters with just a tap. Photo pros can also manually make changes using the Edit tab.
- Once you hit Share, your picture will appear on your profile and in your followers’ feeds.
On your home feed or news feed, you’ll see posts from those you follow. At the top, Instagram shows the profile pictures of people who have a Story. Just tap one, and you’ll start watching the Stories from those people you follow. You can tap the right side of the screen to jump to the next section of that user’s Story or slide to skip them entirely.
At the top right, you’ll see the Messages icon. Tap this to start a new Direct Message with one or more accounts, or you can view your current messages.
If you have a professional account, sharing posts on a regular basis is crucial on the Instagram algorithm. You must have a like target for any photo shared from your professional Instagram account.
Instagram Stories Feature and Highlights
In addition to posting normal photos and videos, which stay on your page permanently, Instagram also has stories. If you’ve used Snapchat before, you’ll be familiar with these stories. You can post one or more photos and video clips in a series. Your followers or anyone can view these stories for 24 hours. After 24 hours, these stories expire.
What Is An Instagram Carousel?
Instagram distinguishes itself from other social media platforms thanks to its focus on images. The days when you just cared about changing your Insta...
However, if you want your followers to see a story all the time, you can pin a story to your profile too. These pinned stories called highlights, and anyone can see it when they look at your profile.
Instagram also has a live feature. Instagram Stories allows users to stream video and engage with them in real time. When users are sharing live video streams on their accounts, a ring highlights their profile picture in Instagram Stories to alert followers so that they can view the live stream.
To broadcast a live video:
- Determine where and when you want to broadcast.
- Select the camera icon or swipe right while in your Instagram feed.
- Choose Live > Start Live Video
- You can tap end to stop the stream.